Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Why "The Good Wife" is the Most Feminist Show Out There

Disclaimer: I am a woman. I am a Good Wife Fan. I am a proponant of female sexuality.

This article is one of my favorite things I have ever read. Nothing I can say can do it justice as it encapsulates everything I think but expresses it all better than I could.

When I started watching the show in September 2009 it was for the intrigue behind how a disgraced housewife picks up the pieces after a political husband's scandal. I wanted to see justification for why a woman would stay with a man who put her through such public humiliation. What I got was so much more.

When Alicia starts the show she is timid and vanilla and acquiescent to her surroundings, except in the courtroom. In the courtroom Alicia holds the power and she shines. Eventually that power spills over into the bedroom when her boss and longtime love interest, Will Gardner, helps her find her sexuality again after her husband stripped her of it. Will worships Alicia and the encounters they share are extremely erotic.

Her influence eventually recaptures her husband's attention and then this over 40 lawyer is torn between two powerful men who both desire her. As the article points out, this is so important because "regardless of how Alicia wields the power of her sexuality, it’s important to note that she is a woman over 40, on television, who undergoes a sort of sexual awakening with men near her same age." Alicia becomes the strong one while Will and her husband struggle under the hold she has on them.


What makes me the most proud of my favorite show this is that while female sexuality is such a taboo in society, the creators and writers are unafraid to fully embrace Alicia as a sexual being. Unlike the MPAA, "The Good Wife," a primetime network drama has no scruples about "showing a woman receiving non-reciprocated sexual pleasure." You go girl! It's about time women's sexuality be embraced the way men's sexuality is. 

 Article: http://www.buzzfeed.com/tnwhiskeywoman/the-sex-life-of-the-good-wife-alicia-florrick

No comments:

Post a Comment